Code of Ethics
The School Ethics Act requires school board members to abide by the following Code of Ethics for School Board Members:
- I will uphold and enforce all laws, rules and regulations of the State Board of Education and court orders pertaining to schools. Desired changes shall be brought about only through legal and ethical procedures.
- I will make decisions in terms of the educational welfare of children and will seek to develop and maintain public schools that meet the individual needs of all children regardless of their ability, race, creed, sex, or social standing.
- I will confine my board action to policy making, planning, and appraisal, and I will help to frame policies and plans only after the board has consulted those who will be affected by them.
- I will carry out my responsibility, not to administer the schools, but together with my fellow board members, to see that they are well run.
- I will recognize that authority rests with the board of education and will make no personal promises nor take any private action that may compromise the board.
- I will refuse to surrender my independent judgment to special interest or partisan political groups or to use the schools for personal gain or for the gain of friends.
- I will hold confidential all matters pertaining to the schools, which, if disclosed, would needlessly injure individuals, or the schools. In all other matters, I will provide accurate information and, in concert with my fellow board members, interpret to the staff the aspirations of the community for its school.
- I will vote to appoint the best-qualified personnel available after consideration of the recommendation of the chief administrative officer.
- I will support and protect school personnel in proper performance of their duties.
- I will refer all complaints to the chief administrative officer and will act on the complaints at public meetings only after failure of an administrative solution.
- Meet the Board
- Board Committees
- Meeting Dates
- General Meeting Information (opens in new window)
- Board Meeting Manager
- Agendas and Minutes
- Policies (opens in new window)
- What is a Board Member?
- Things to Know
- Code of Ethics
- Employment Opportunities
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.