- The skills and strategies taught in Houghton Mifflin’s Invitations to Literacy series afford students opportunities for both discovery and systematic instruction that will enable them to construct, critically examine, and apply meaning as they develop into readers and writers.
- Used mostly for the skills and strategies. Teachers use the skills to incorporate into their guided reading groups.
The Scholastic Guided Reading Program is a teacher-directed program designed
to help students develop independent reading strategies so they may become
confident and successful readers. Through leveled trade books and related teaching
materials, the Guided Reading Program moves children toward the goal of being
able to read a variety of texts with ease and deep understanding.
- Phonemic Awareness - Writing
- Phonics - Motivation and Engagement
- Fluency - Intervention Strategies
- Vocabulary - Assessments
Both programs include a comprehensive set of student and teacher resources
designed to extend the philosophy and practice of balanced literacy instruction
into the intermediate grades. The program provides a strong literacy framework
that combines whole-group and small group instructional approaches for reading,
writing, comprehension, and word analysis. Strategies are introduced and taught
by an explicit, direct method that incorporates modeling, demonstrating, and
coaching in group settings, as well as independent practice opportunities.
- Students read developmentally appropriate nonfiction and fiction texts.
- Practice comprehension and word solving strategies
- Analyze the characteristics of different genres and text structures.
- Appreciate literary forms, devices, and techniques
- Use a wide range of text and graphic features
- Use process writing steps to brainstorm topics, write, edit and revise, and
- Express ideas through oral discussions and conversations.
Focuses on spelling words correctly while writing, not just spelling well on a test. •Builds spelling and language skills
Provides teachers and students with over 1800 titles of printable leveled reading books. •This exciting resource helps put books in every child’s hands for them to take home and keep as part of a growing personal library.
Study Island is a New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards web-based test
preparation program. Currently the program is designed for use in grades 3
and 4 to prepare students for success on the NJ ASK 3 and 4 assessments in
literacy and math. Students may also access Study Island from home on an Internet
configured computer. Detailed reports provide parents, teachers, and student
information about the student’s performance.
The Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program successfully stimulates phonemic awareness. Individuals become aware of the mouth actions that produce speech sounds. This awareness becomes the means of verifying sounds with words and enables individuals to become self-correcting in reading, spelling, and speech.
Students challenge themselves by selecting various leveled novels. After completing the reading the student takes a computerized assessment. A print out for the teacher is supplied to show strengths and weaknesses.
These are teacher created guides strongly influenced by Penn Literacy strategies. Classrooms and library are equipped with these teacher created guides to be used in classrooms for small group reading, or to be infused into a theme based study. Many novel non-fiction sets are available at each school.
A comprehensive research-based program that provides consistent higher quality and a sequence of instruction that carefully builds upon and extends the knowledge and skills of the previous year.
- Algebra and use of variables
- Data and chance
- Geometry and spatial sense
- Measurement and measures
- Numerators and order
- Patterns, functions, and sequences
- Reference Frames
A diagnostic tool used to see how well a student is progressing towards mastering the New Jersey Core Curriculum Standards for mathematics.
- Basic Skills Instruction: Grades 1 – 5
- DIBELS (Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills): Grades K - 2
- NJASK3: State Assessment Literacy and Math
- NJASK4: State Assessment Literacy and Math
- NJASK5: State Assessment Literacy and Math